I tried writing this blog from the POV of a sexual predator but I gave up after a few attempts. I couldn’t get myself to think like an entitled imbecile who believes that women should be grateful for his attention and should respond with servility and sexual compliance.
The grey zone of sexual harassment is filled with judgement and opinion. What is ok or not ok can be hotly debated and ranges from allowing a hand on the thigh to drinking with a male colleague to being someone’s favourite at work to consistently dipping into the office pool to hone their marksmanship…. The inevitable bonding on projects and long hours at work make the workplace a hotbed (pun intended) for potential exploitation.
What really constitutes sexual harassment? In my considered opinion, it is anything that involves :
- Using aggression, blackmail, power, promise of retribution, fear, undermining someone’s spirit … all for sexual dominance and power trips.
In case there is any difficulty understanding the points above … I am clarifying them here for your benefit.
- If you believe that you own the women who work for you or with you …
- If you believe that women are basically dumb props and have made themselves available because they stepped out of their home to earn a living
- If you believe that women exist for your pleasure
- If you believe that women cannot achieve their goals without your proprietorial hand on their ass
- If you believe that your female colleagues need sex education
- If you believe that you are populating your personal harem while employing young, fresh ’talent’ then …
My suggestion is STOP. There are several instances of men being toppled from their seat of power by the very women who they chose to subjugate. It could be your turn.
This applies to predators across the board, irrespective of gender.